Goddess Veeramakaliamman (Kali)
Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple was built by Indian pioneers who came to work and live here the temple was the first in the serangoon area and became a focus of early Indian Social Cultural activities there.
The choice of Sri Veeramakaliamman as the chief deity of the temple is significant. Referred as a powerful goddess and Destroyer of Evil, her presence answered an important need of the early migrants - the need to feel secure in a new land.It seems that in the early days worship at the temple began at a small shrine with carvings and inscriptions. From these beginnings the temple was gradually built. In the old days, the temple came to be known as the "Soonambu Kambam Kovil", that is, temple at the lime village. This was because many Indians who attended the temple worked in lime kilns in the area. (Lime formed part of the mixture that was used for buildings in those days). Many of the devotees were daily-rated workers of the Singapore Municipality.By the end of the 19th century there was daily worship and regular religious functions held at the temple. As the Indian population continued to grow, the temple was increasingly the focus of religious,social and other cultural activities. Initially there was a part-time 'pujari' to officiate at the temple. By the turn of the century, the amount collected from temple services and charity-box collections made it possible to engage a full-time priest.
According to some oral history accounts , one of the first shrines at the temple was centered around a clay statue of an angry Sri Kaliamman, triumphant over evil . Over the years more shrines and rooms were added and the temple expanded. In 1908 a statue of the goddess was ordered from India for the deities' central shrine in the temple. In the same year a shrine of the goddess Sri Peiyachi Amman was also built.Some nine years later shrines of Lord Ganesh and Lord Subramaniam were established . In 1938 a chariot was bought. A large hall was added to the temple in 1953.Through the years the temple became more established.
During the second world war when there were air raids, many took refuge in the temple and were safe there . The temple and those within escaped the bombings unscathed. The rebuilding of this historic monument began in October 1983. In the middle of August 1986 workmen came across several pieces of the temple's old statues while digging in the what used to be the temple compound. According to the temple authorities these may be locally made statues which were at the temple before the more finely made ones from India began to arrive.At a cost of 2.2 million the new temple with its distinctive Gate-Tower, eight main Domes and several other minor ones, has taken three years to be built.
From Changi Airport Singapore Sri Veeramakaliamman temple is 19.4 Km. From Tanjong Pagar Railway Station it is 7.8 km and from Little India subway 550m. Sri Veeramakaliamman is near Broadway Hotel bus stop which is only 140 m from the temple. Tekka Ctr bus stop is 270 m from Sri Veeramakaliamman temple
- 8am-noon & 6.30-9pm Mon-Thu & Sat, 8am-noon & 6-9pm Fri & Sun
- Contact Person:
- Contact Number:
+65 6293 4634