contact@mandirinfo.com
Goddess Kali

Temple History

Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman Temple is widely believed to have started in 1830 with a sole female devotee. She had placed a picture of Amman under a banyan tree that was located near the present temple. The location of the temple, at the junction of Balestier, Serangoon. Race Course and Rangoon roads, was very popular because it had several wells and water points. Many residents from nearby areas frequented the area to collect water for themselves. In 1935, Mr Rengasamy Mooriyar converted the premises into a full-fledged temple and conducted the consecration ceremony, paying for the expenses from his retirement savings. Sri Vinayakar, Muruga and Ambal were the main deities of the temple. In 1943, Mr Kottavai Govindasamy further expanded the temple to include Sri Periachi, Madurai Veeran and Muneeswaran. In the early 70s the temple was further renovated and improved upon. Separate sanctums were created for the main deities. Vinayakar, Murugan and Ambal. In I9 March 1975, a consecration ceremony for thetemple was conducted under the leadership of Mr S L Perumal. In 1979, the Ramar Bhajan Matt operating in Cross Street relocated to the Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman Temple. Soon after in 1982, another round Temple renovation was embarked on. The Ramar Bhajan Matt was converted into a full-fledged temple.

 

Additional Information

In 1994, the temple volunteer ubayakars formed a registered society and played a key role in the management of the temple. Subsequently, the Society was dissolved and a new Board of Trustees with seven members was constituted in 1998.

In 2003, this committee undertook further development projects that included, among other things, a 4-storey multi-purpose hall and renovation and repair works to the deities. As part of the efforts, the deities of Sri Periyachi, Madurai Veeran, Muneeswaran were relocated within the temple.

Culminated in the Maha Kumbabishegam (consecration ceremony) of the temple on 23 January 2005.

This temple also has a popular shiridi sai baba mandir in it visited by devotees every day.

From Changi Airport Singapore Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman is 19.5 Km. From Tanjong Pagar Railway Station it is 8.8 km and from Farrer Park subway 600m and 700 m from Boon Keng subway station. Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman is nearSri Vadapathira K Tp bus stop which is only 25 m from the temple. Kwong Wai Shiu Hosp bus stop is 350 m from Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman
  • 6.00 am to 12.00 noon 4.30 Pm to 9.00 pm (Sun-Thu),6.00 am to 12.30 noon 4.30 Pm to 9.30 pm (Fri-Sat)
  • Contact Person: Committee Member
  • Contact Number: +65 6298 5053
http://srivadapathirakali.org/