contact@mandirinfo.com
Lord krishna

Temple History

Shree Govindajee Temple is the largest Hindu, Vaishnav temple in Imphal city in Manipur. It is located next to the palace of the former rulers of the then Manipur Kingdom. The temple is simple in design with two gold plated domes, a paved court and a large, raised mantapa or congregation hall. The central chamber of the garbhagriha (sanctum sanctorum) has the main deity of Govindaji, stated to be the incarnation of Lord Krishna, and his consort Radha. In the other two chambers of the sanctum, on either side of the main deity, images deified are of Balabhadra and Krishna on one side, and images of Jagannath, Subhadra and Balabhadra on the other side. The temple was originally built in 1846 during the reign of Maharaja Nara Singh and rebuilt by Maharaja Chandrakriti in 1876.

 

Additional Information

Shree Govindaji Temple, Manipur built by one of the rulers of Manipur was again restored by another ruler, several years later to its original form. This temple of Shree Shree Govindaji was originally built in 1846 A.D. that was during the reign of Maharaj Nara Singh (1844-1846 A.D). It was then severely damaged in the great earthquake of 1868 A.D. The idols of Radha-Govinda were being partly damaged when parts of the temple collapsed in the earthquake (Cheitharol Kumbaba) Maharaj Chandrakirti (1859-86 A.D.) the then ruler of Manipur had reconstructed the temple in its original form.

From Imphal International Airport Shree Govindajee Temple is 7 km. From Dimapur Railway Station it is 211 km. From Imphal Guwahati Bus Stand Shree Govindajee Temple is 1.9 km
  • 5:00 AM - 12:00 PM, 4:00 PM - 9:00 PM
  • Contact Person: -
  • Contact Number: -
-