Bugga Ramalingeswara Swamy
Bugga Ramalingeswara Swamy temple is located in Tadipatri town of Anantapur District and is very near to Tadipatri bus stand and railway station. A Siva shrine built in all architectural splendour during the reign of the Saluva dynasty of the Vijayanagara kingdom.
This temple is at a distance of 56.3 km from Anantapur, 107 km from Kadapa, 248 km from Tirupati, 240 km from Bengaluru and 345 km from Hyderabad City.
The imposing temple spread over several acres in the eastern end of the Tadapatri town, on the banks of the Penna river, is characterised by its huge gopurams on three sides of the temple, north, west and south, termed as ‘wonders’ by James Fergusson, an architectural historian who wrote the famous book ‘History of Indian and Eastern Architecture.
The temple got this name by a perennial underground stream from which water always keeps flowing (Bugga in Telugu) into the sanctum sanctorum at the spot where the Lingam is consecrated. Sri Bugga Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple was built by Ramalinga Nayudu, a chieftain of the Vijayanagara Kings, in 16th century. The records indicate that a sculptor Yellanchari was brought from Benaras to construct the temple. According to legend, the temple has been established at the site, where sage Parasurama lived and performed meditation.
The temple was estimated to had been constructed between 1490 and 1509. The Tadipatri Kaifiyat, collected by Col Mackenzie in 1802, narrates the story and events that led to the construction of temple. According to the Kaifiyat, Ramalinganayudu, a chieftain of the Vijayanagara empire tasked with the administration of the Gutti – Gandikota seema (referred to as Yadikiseema in some accounts) had built the Ramalingesvara temple as a result of an unusual event.
“When Ramalinga’s cows were taken to the fields to graze, one particular animal used to empty its milk on an ant-hill. The cowherd had hurled an axe at the ant-hill. The night Ramalinga has a dream in which the Lord told him the cowherd had harmed him. Ramalinga was asked to build a temple at the spot,” the Tadapatri kaifiyat says.
True to the story of the Linga, the presiding deity, being a ‘swayambhu’ (naturally occuring or self originated), the Linga is unhewn. The Linga, having been consecrated at a small perpetual spring, called ‘Bugga’ in local parlance, the temple came to be known as the ‘Bugga Ramalingeswara Swamy’ temple. Another story is that, it was built with deep black stone looking like coal; so it was named Boggu Ramalingeswara Aalayam which later came to be known as Bugga Ramalingeswaraswamy temple. Whatever be the origin, it is a big temple with all the parts, built on a grand scale making provision for all the adorale deities, like Mother Parvathi, Vinayaka etc. in addition to a shrine for Sri Rama.
Another story is that, Sri Bugga Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple was built by Thimma Nayakudu and Ramalinga Nayakudu in the 16th century. The Shivalinga is installed by Lord Rama. The temple reflects the beautiful architecture designed by Ramachari with 650 members as a team for 21 years. There is a secret tunnel to Tirupati but now the entrance of the tunnel is closed.
Maha Shivarathri and Sri Ramanavami are the major festivals celebrated here.
Hotels and lodges are available in Tadipatri town for the devotees accommodation. Anantapur city has more option for the Hotels and is connected with all the major cities of Andhrapradesh.
Anantapur city head quarters are 56.3 km from Tadipatri town. Frequent buses ply from Anantapur.
Tadipatri Bus Station is just 1.6 km and Tadipatri Railway Station is 4.1 km from the temple. Autos and private transport is available from these stations.
Tirupati and Bengaluru International Airports are the nearest airports to reach this temple. Tirupati International Airport is 242 km and Bengaluru Kempegowda International Airport is 245 km in distance.
- 6:00 AM to 1:00 PM & 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Contact Person:
- Contact Number: