Karpaga Vinayakar Temple
Pillaiyarpatti Pillaiyar Temple is an ancient rock-cut cave shrine dedicated to Lord Ganesha. The presiding deity of the temple is Karpaka Vinayakar. In the cave temple, there are rock cut images of Siva and other gods as well as several shrines. The Agama texts found on stone inscriptions in the temple help to date the temple between the years 1091 and 1238 b.c. Pillaiyarpatti Karpaga Vinayagar temple was built by early Pandyas.
Karpaga Vinayagar is carved out in a cave of Pillaiyarpatti Hillocks. Lord Thiruveesar (Shiva) is also carved in the rock of this cave. The age of the cave temple may be 2500 years or more. There are 14 stone Sculptures in the cave (dated from 500 BC to 1284 AD).
These stone sculptures state the ancient names of Pillaiyarpatti such as Ekkattoor, Thiruveenkaikkudi, Maruthangudi, and Rajanarayanapuram. The image of Pillaiyarpatti Pillaiyar and that of a Siva Lingam were carved out of a stone by a sculptor named Ekkattur Koon Peruparanan who put his signature on a stone inscription, in Tamil Language used between the 2nd and 5th century, found even today in the sanctum. It is believed that the icon of Pillaiyarpatti Pillaiyar must have been carved around the 4th century AD.
The Vinayagar sannidhi (Sanctom Sanctorum) is a cave where the 6 feet of Karpaga Vinayagar has been carved inside that faces north direction. As this is a cave formation, there is no provision to go around for the pradakshina. Vinayagar’s trunk is curved at the right side (Valampuri Vinayagar) which is unique feature. There are deities in this temple such as goddess Karthiyayini (who arrange marriages), Nagalingam (who gifts offspring), Pasupatheeswarar (who showers all wealth).
This temple is the only one in Tamil Nadu which contains a 6 feet rock-cut Pillaiyar deity. The Thumbikai(trunk) of Lord Pillaiyar is curled towards his right side and so the God is also known as Valampuri Pillaiyar.
Unlike other places the three Lingams Thiruveesar, Marudheesar and Senchadeswarar and the three Goddess Sivagami amman, Vadamalar Mangaiamman and Soundara Nayaga amman all appear together at the same place and bless the devotees.
It is believed that by worshipping Kathyayini amman at this temple women get relived from sevvai dosham which prevent them from getting married. "Sabda Madhar" whom importance due to changing time are provided with a seperate sannidhi known as Sakthi sannidhi at this temple.
Vinayagar Chathurthi(Ganesh Chathurthi) is the temple's most important festival. It is commemorated for 10 days long. Kappaukkattutual(Divine rope attire and fasting) and hoisting temple flag begin before 9 days. On the 9th day the car festival and the much celebrated decoration of sandal covering ( Santha-na-kkappu) to Pillaiyar takes place which is of great importance among the devotees
The nearest Air Ports Madurai - 70 kms, Trichy - 100 km, Coimbatore - 260 km.
The nearest Railway Station is at Karaikudi - 13 kms,Madurai - 70 Kms,Tiruchi - 100 Kms.
Frequent Bus service available from major cities like Chennai, Madurai, Karaikudi, Devakottai, Tirucirappali, Sivagangai, Rameswaram, Sivakasi, Paramakudi, Theni ,Kodaikanal, Coimbatore, Dindigul, Palani, Pudhukkotai, Aranthangi, Salem, Nagore, Nagappattinam, Bangalore.
The temple is only 500 m from Pillayarpatti Bus Stop
- 6:00 AM to 1:PM, 4 PM to 8.30 PM
- Contact Person:
- Contact Number: